Monday, 7 May 2007

Girly books (no, not THAT kind)

I am reading like a mad thing at the moment - bliss. Finished Black Swan Green (loved it) and devoured Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk. She's one of my favourite authors, I love her books, and this didn't disappoint. She writes with such brilliant insights, fantastic observational detail and well-drawn characters - and is so good on the conflicts of motherhood. (And it says in the inside cover that she lives in Brighton! If only I'd known sooner!)

This is going to be a very girly reading month, I think, after last month's more masculine Dickens/Raw Shark Texts/Black Swan Green combo. Next it's Persuasion, then Rebecca, then I'm looking forward to Kate Harrison's new one, and also the new one by Adele Parks. Oh, what a nice reading pile, every one a pleasure I am sure.

The Children's Parade was great, by the way. Thousands of people lining the streets all cheering on the procession of children, parents and teachers, all in different costumes, with amazing props and samba bands. A quintessential Brighton experience, so glad we got to be a part of it this year. (WISH I hadn't worn my high heels, though - dreadful mistake. Ooh, me aching feet...)

7 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'm reading lots too. I think it's great that working on my own writing doesn't impair my joy in reading other people's.

Jessica said...

Wow, have you enver read Rebecca? Am jealous, you have a Treat in store...

Lucy Diamond said...

Absolutely, Zinnia - thank goodness!
Jessica - Rebecca is a re-read, but it is so many years since I first read it, it will almost be like a new book. A treat indeed.

JJ said...

I've got big holes in my reading, even though I did A'Level English. I only read Pride and Prejudice for the first time recently. That was brilliant. When I hear you talking about reading the classics it really does make me think of going back to discover them.

Drunk Mummy said...

Hi Lucy!
Top of my reading pile is your book - I bought it this weekend, and am really looking forward to reading it. 'Rebecca' is a corker - I somehow missed reading it when I was young, but I think I enjoyed it more as a result.

Lucy Diamond said...

JJ, I've got holes in my reading too, which is what brought about my resolution...the shame of being such an ignoramus! I am enjoying my discoveries so far, Dickens especially. (I've even bought a biography of him to read now!)

DrunkMummy...hello!! I love your blog, am so pleased you have visited. I'm even more pleased to read you've bought my book - THANK YOU! Hope you like it.

bạn park said...

Booksellers and readers could pretend far into the 18th century not to know more about the particular title the new market of printed books provided. If one wanted to know what others read in novels one had to read them oneself.winter camping gearCustom Assay Development