Friday, 11 May 2007

Fanfare, please!

Wow. Something really exciting to announce. I can still hardly believe it but I think.... Yes, I really think... That after six and half long long years...I might be about to leave the nappy years behind. YES!!!! I know! Youngest daughter seems to have cracked it, with the help of a brilliant book from the library called Potty Poo-Poo Wee-Wee (I kid you not) and the promise of Dora the Explorer knickers. Hoorahhhhhhh! Thank you, Dora. Thank you, Potty Poo-Poo Wee-Wee. It's (almost) the end of an era...

Nearly as exciting was the email from the lovely Jane Henry to say that in the Bookseller today, there's a Debut Novels chart...and Any Way You Want Me is in there, at number 15!! Yippeee! It's sold over 5,000 copies which sounds bloody loads to me. Thank you, if you are one of the 5,000. And if you haven't got a copy yet... No, don't worry, I'm not doing that any more. Even though my horoscopes keep banging on about self-promotion opportunities, I am not a natural saleswoman, I would never get on The Apprentice (although if I was, I'd give that snobby Katie a right good slap.) But anyway, if I wasn't so hungover from last night's shenanigans, I would be drinking a celebratory glass or two of wine tonight. I will have a virtual one instead.

Too feeble with my hangover to work this morning, so lay on the sofa drinking cups of tea, eating biscuits and reading Persuasion instead. I felt a bit guilty that I was supposed to be working and youngest daughter was in nursery this morning for that explicit purpose but I wasn't really capable of stringing a sentence together. Am now at 65,000 words on the new novel but I'm not sure they're all GOOD words, if you know what I mean. Worried it's getting a bit complicated and there's just too many dramatic scenes one after the other. Must write in some lulls next week.

Talking of lulls, youngest is snoozing in her cot now and I'm tempted to catch forty winks myself. Have a good weekend, everyone.

10 comments:

rilly super said...

5,000 sounds like bloody loads because it is dear. 5,000 people prepared to part with £10 and a couple of days of their life to see what you have to say about stuff, that's really something isn't it?

Lucy Diamond said...

Absolutely! (It's not £10, though, it's ONLY £3.99 on Amazon...a bargain!)

Jane Henry said...

I think 5000 is fab. You won't believe how hard it is to shift them toute seule....

And well done on the debut author chart!

And on the potty front.
It is indeed a wonderful day when you finally say goodbye to the nappies.

All mine were very slow in that department.

I too have a Ray Davies induced whacking great hangover. Better get over it by tomorrow as I have 20 eleven year olds to entertain!!

dulwichmum said...

Wow Lucy,

A great achievement! It all sounds dreadfully stressful. Again, well done.

DM

Caroline said...

Oh it is all coming together - that's a lot of your novels out there. Yay! And an end to nappies ... *sigh* I miss the 50p off Pampers coupons ... *sigh*

Thrilled for you and I will join you in praise to Dora knickers.

xx

Stay at home dad said...

Many congratulations on both fronts. I think my daughter would have been out of nappies in 6 months flat had she (or I) known about Dora knickers!

5000 sales is beyond my comprehension. Fabulous stuff.

Sahd

Working Mum said...

Congratulations! I can't decide which is the bigger achievement. The fact you have a hangover in fact makes it three super achievements. Well done you!

Lucy Diamond said...

All hail Dora, and the power of her knickers!
Fingers crossed...

Clare said...

I'm one of the 5000!

It arrived this week. I's in a queue, but am very much looking forward to reading it. And it looks / feels great.

Lucy Diamond said...

Yay, Clare!! Thank you, m'dear. Hope you like it!