Wednesday, 2 May 2007

Culcha

Gawd…a paper deluge thumped through the letterbox yesterday. Huge pile of conveyancing forms and letters to fill in, ginormous mortgage application, letter from the surveyors… we are drowning in bureaucracy right now, and I’ll be changing my name to Jarndyce at this rate.
Sat down with a bottle of wine to make a start on the forms last night – probably a bad idea in hindsight because we got all giggly and stupid about what are supposed to be SERIOUS DOCUMENTS and I kept making spelling mistakes because I was shaking with drunken laughter. Who would have thought moving house could be such fun, eh?!

It’s actually a bit weird now that we’re not painting and decorating every evening any more. We’ve sold the house – we’ve stopped all that. And because the house we’re moving to is a bit…um… well-loved, shall we say, I know that as soon as we’re in there, we’ll have months and months of cleaning and painting and decorating evenings stretching ahead of us (which is just as well, seeing as we’ll be Billy and Belle No-Mates there with no social lives to speak of…)
So I’m determined to make the most of this *restful* period inbetween. Nights out, trying not to get maudlin and sentimental over lovely friends. And nights in too, watching films and reading books. Bliss, actually! I’ve finished David Copperfield (little bit disappointed – fantastically enjoyable opening, got a bit boring in the middle, hated Dora, wasn’t that thrilled by worthy Agnes either, thought Mr Micawber was tedious even though he’s meant to be comic…) and have read The Night Watch too, which I absolutely loved – so clever, and beautifully written, with all the hints and clues and fabulous period detail. Am now reading Black Swan Green, which I found slightly irritating at first (it felt a bit self-conscious) but am now engrossed in it and enjoying very much. Next classic for May – Persuasion. I’ve never read it but it’s set in Bath so seems very appropriate.

Film-wise, I’ve seen Pan’s Labyrinth (fabulous fairy-tale), Red Road (grim weeper) and The Holiday (perfect pick-me-up). Get me! I’m no longer paint-splashed and reeking of turps. I’m cultured, ain’t I? For a short while, anyway…

Thank you for all the nice comments yesterday, by the way. I feel much better. New mantra: It's all going to be fine. Today I'm even starting to believe it.

11 comments:

Helen said...

Have you seen Petit Anglaise's blog? She has your book on the side bar as the one she is reading at the moment. How cool is that?! She has loads of visitors who will see it!

Lucy Diamond said...

Totally cool! Hooray for Petite - I love her more than ever now. And doesn't the book look splendid next to Sarah Waters?! Fabulous.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Hi Lucy,

I sympathise with you over those forms, I really do! We moved about 18 months ago, and the sheer volume of paperwork is daunting ~ and once you've done the lot for the house you're buying you've got it all to do again for the house you're selling!

Best of luck with it,

Kate

Jane Henry said...

Lucy,

Am sure everything will be fine, but can sympathise with nerves...and the paperwork.


I agree about Agnes and Dora both of them wet beyond belief. Dora the childbride (yeuch!) and Agnes... so bleedin' worthy. Dickens' strength is definitely not in his women, but the plotline with Steerforth and Emily is unbearably moving. And all the stuff with Mr Murgatroyd and his childhood. So so horrible. Just saw yesterday they're making a new film of it really honing in on the child abuse aspect of the novel. Rowan Atkinson is going to play Mr Micawber. I agree he'd be irritating as f*** in real life, but I do quite like him... I like the comment about the difference between happiness and unhappiness being whether you have money over or money under... so very true!

Sorry haven't got your book yet, but saving it for my Germany trip!

love Janex

liz fenwick said...

Pleased to hear you are taking advantage of the quiet interlude :-) You'll make new friends in a flash......that's what you have kids for - didn't they tell you???

Lucy Diamond said...

Kate - it's a nightmare, isn't it? Have sent off a load of stuff today to the solicitors, just the dreaded mortgage application now. We are never moving again. Never!

Hi Jane - yes, Dickens didn't produce many feisty heroines, did he? Mind you, Betsey Trotwood is pretty cool - I liked her.

Liz, the no-mates thing only struck me yesterday and totally freaked me out - until then I'd been worrying more about the kids having to make new friends. It's a bit scary making that jump into the unknonw, but we moved here not knowing anyone, and it was fine. You're right, kids are a great way to get into the community - half an hour in the park and you're away. I hope...

Angie said...

I read Persuasion last summer and liked it a lot. P&P is still my favorite Jane Austen though. Anne is a more somber heroine than Lizzie, but more mature too (pah!).
I imagine whole forests are cut down for the paper that is generated buying/selling houses. We bought our first place in Nov and the amount of paperwork was a shock.

Lucy Diamond said...

Angie, I feel so guilty about that forest! And half of the paper is just corporate bumph anyway. Straight into the recycling bin it goes...

Clare said...

Wow, you are very cultured! I am jealous.

[makes resolution: Do More Culture]

I shall remember to come back here when I am looking for recommended reading, though. And I like the idea of doing the classics. And I must remember to get books for myself as well as my son the next time we visit the local library! I bet they have classics, if nothing else. And now I realise I could have almost certainly borrowed your book from t' local library... but it's too late now, cos I have bought it from Amazon. But I asked them to ship it with Martin Millar's Fairies in New York (or whatever it's called) which hasn't actually been published yet, so it might be a while before it arrives...

But that's just as well, as I have a million other books piled up and waiting for me to read.

Sorry, I am seriously waffling now.

I have been back at work, in an actual office, this week. Not only is it knackering, and horribly depressing, and has served to remind me of things I'd rather forget and has fuelled a Big Blog Slump and generally made me feel shit... not only that, but I can't actually bring myself to do any actual work. Actually. So I roaming around the internet instead, slightly despondently, like a sulky teenager. And wittering on in people's comments boxes. Anything to avoid doing any actual work. Actually.

[sigh]

Lucy Diamond said...

God, I'm roaming around a lot today, too. It's a terrible habit...sigh...
Don't worry, I'm not really that cultured at all, hence the need for a new year's resolution to get me to read all these literary classics. Strangely, I'm quite enjoying them, although it does feel a bit like homework at the same time.
Thanks for ordering my book, by the way. Hope you like it. :)

Clare said...

Up the roamers!

Let's have a race round everyone's comment boxes. Or maybe not. ;o)