Wednesday, 9 May 2007

Betty Wart, Betty Wart

I haven't really written much about the children's books side of things lately, have I? Too caught up in First Novel and House Move to think about anything else. I've got to send off a new Oliver Moon synopsis to my editor next week so I will have to get my brain in gear sharpish. It's a birthday party one, so I've been trying to think of a good title other than the classic formula of Happy Birthday Oliver Moon. Oliver Moon's Bogey Birthday, eldest daughter suggested. Hmmm. Not the nicest image.

Eldest daughter's teacher is currently reading Oliver Moon's Nipperbat Nightmare to the class (thank you, Mrs C) and I had the delightful experience last week of going to pick up said daughter from school, and hearing her and about six of her friends all singing some of the lines of the book in chorus and laughing their heads off. Ie "She's rude, she's snobby, her nose is very blobby, Betty Wart, Betty Wart". Ooh, it did fill my heart with joy, I can tell you. Every author's dream to have their words chanted aloud by adoring fans!! Well...okay, it wasn't quite like that. But all the same, it made me smile.

Having said all that, I am going to plough on with the new novel again today. I hit 60,000 words yesterday, so want to keep up the momentum. I had a panic that I had peaked too early, writing one of the Big Dramatic Scenes that is the catalyst for several other Big Dramatic Scenes sooner than I thought, but then remembered (DUH) that this novel doesn't actually have to be 100,000 words long, just because the other two have been. So maybe it's going to be an 80,000 word novel, after all. In which case, I'm three-quarters of the way there!

4 comments:

Helen said...

Well done on your word count. I scrolled down to check it, as I always do on your blog and you are steaming along. Makes me feel even more guilty now for taking the day off to shop today. Keep up the momentum!

EmmaK said...

Just read the extract of your novel on your site, what a laugh!! Good luck with finishing your latest novel. I've written a few books myself but at the moment have lost the motivation...boring stuff from agent about chick lit is not selling at moment...need high concept idea. so am thinking of high concept idea...taking forever:)

Angie said...

How wonderful to have singing adoring little fans! I think that's a great compliment. May I ask how you got into children's book publishing? Probably a big question for the comments box though...

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello, sorry it's taken me ages to reply to these - bloody TalkTalk fiasco meant I couldn't get online AARRGGH, had Amazonitis withdrawal symptoms. Phew. Back on, don't dare switch off now, even though rice is probably boiling over downstairs (that sounds like a metaphor but it's just a fact).

Hello Helen - Don't worry, I'm about to have to start on something else very soon, maybe even next week, so you will catch me up in no time. And I'm having a day off to shop AND have a massage next week if it makes you feel less guilty! ;)

Hello EmmaK, Nice to see you here (and thanks for saying nice things about my novel extract). That elusive high concept idea, eh? Tell me if you think of a spare one, I could do with one too...

Hello Angie - It doesn't get much better than singing adoring little fans, believe me. I used to be an editor of children's books at Random House and OUP, so I got a good feel for what editors were looking for (and what they always turned down) - a very good starting point for becoming a writer of children's books!