Sunday, 20 May 2007

Being a princess

Hello.
Anyone around today?
I don't usually blog at the weekend but I'm up here at the pc this morning trying to do a new work thing, while my partner takes the kids to the park. Not sure how successful it will be, but it's worth a punt, I reckon.

How's your weekend going, then? We took the train to Lewes yesterday for a day out which was v nice. Went to the castle which son and eldest daughter were VERY excited about (youngest daughter slept through the entire experience). It was great, I enjoyed it too, climbing up all the twisty spiral staircases to the top of the highest tower, putting the kids in the old wooden stocks etc. They also had this room full of dressing up clothes, which was brilliant. Son dressed up as a knight and daughter in a medieval dress - and I got a bit over-excited and tried on this fab dress myself, complete with enormous drapey sleeves and plunging velvet neckline. Took it off quickly before anyone else came in and made me feel embarrassed, but for about two minutes I felt a bit of a princess. (I recommend it.)

Went to a pub for tea and got the train home, the kids all going berserk after having lemonade with their tea. Quite scary, actually, seeing them go so loopy on a bit of sugar. Well, that's banned, then. They were like miniature lager louts bellowing and charging around in the street.

I've had the schedule for my new project I mentioned the other day...it is really full-on, quite scary actually. Not sure how I'm going to be able to fit in any new work on the novel, when I've already got eight other children's books contracted to write this year. Hmmm. Partner and I are having big talks about our work arrangements at the moment, currently I work two days a week (plus two short mornings when youngest is as nursery) and he works three days, but this may have to change. God, that work-life balance is a tricky thing!

Anyway, better get on with this new thing....

9 comments:

Jen said...

Work-life balance? Hmmmm... I am currently toying with the idea of working more in order to actually afford having a life. But then, I probably wouldn't have time to have a life anyway.

It seems everyone is in a state of working flux at the mo - must be some sort of astrological cataclysm lurking.

Being a responsible bill-paying adult is dull - I want to be a princess too!

Lucy Diamond said...

Being a princess is definitely the way to go, I think - but in the meantime, I hope you get your work-life thing sussed out. And if you do, tell me how you managed it - I need some tips!

dulwichmum said...

Gosh Lucy, I can't imagine how difficult it must be using your imagination to order so to speak. I have a feeling that if I had to write for a living, writers block would set in very quickly.

Lucy Diamond said...

Yes, it can be a bit daunting. I always have so many different books on the go that so far (touch wood) I haven't suffered writer's block - there's always something else I can switch onto if I am stuck on one particular ms. That said, there's always a first time, of course...

Jane Henry said...

Bloody hell, Lucy. You fill me with awe... Now I have five days a week to work (well ok, not full days - but I have from 9-3 free) and I can't seem to manage to write one book, let alone eight....

I think I was more organised when I had a nanny...

rilly super said...

love the dressing up thing lucy. carlisle art gallery has an arthur hughes painting of a girl lying under a tree in a purple velvet dress and they have the dress so you can put it on and be lizzie siddal or whoever the model is. you really need long red hair and laudanam issues to pull it off but it's a lovely idea.

Lucy Diamond said...

Jane, no need for any awe. The eight books are all pretty short and I am a fast writer, that's all!

Rilly - that sounds fab, I love that idea. Maybe they should supply a wig to address the red hair thing? (Can't see them going for it with a laudanum supply, even on the grounds of authenticity...)

liz fenwick said...

Awe is the correct word....you are amazing! Still loving Anyway You Want btw. It's my treat at the end of the day :-) Was really cross with myself that it was left in the bathroom when I went to Budapest last but then it did mean I worked on plotting a rewrite reading getting lost in a book!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh thanks, Liz, how nice to have written somebody's 'treat'. Loved your post about the Writers Day - sounded fantastic. Hope the rewrite is going well...