Sunday, 13 May 2007

All you need is love (and Handy Andy)

I love the house. Phew. I do love it.
I was worried we'd go back this weekend and walk in and think...OH MY GOD, we are mad, there's no way I want to live here, aaarrgggh, etc.
Luckily, we walked in and I just wanted to lean my head against the wall and say *hello*. (Hmmm. Does that make me sound a bit mad?) I didn't do that, obviously, because the vendor's grown up son was there offering to make me a cup of tea, and I didn't want to give the wrong impresion, but I'm telling you, the day we move in, there will be a big happy hello. (Definitely do sound a bit mad. Moving swiftly on...)
The kids liked it too, lots of running around fiddling with stuff and making plans for who was going to sleep where and what colour their bedrooms would be painted (one day. Maybe 2010) and Ooh, look at this and that, and these bannisters look brilliant for sliding down. So that was good.
Actually, that was so good, I felt exhausted with sheer relief. Phew. Again. Does need LOTS of work, I noticed all these things I hadn't seen before, but hey, we're DIY experts these days. No worries...

And it was great being in town so soon after reading Persuasion. I kept exclaiming, Ooh, Milsom Street! Anne bumps into Captain Wentworth there! So where's Rivers-Street then? (This New Year's resolution of mine to read more classics is DEFINITELY paying off, I feel soooo brainy these days, you know!) And it is such a gorgeous place, even in the lashing rain. Can't quite believe we will be living there yet. We are not worthy. They might not let us in!

Did a very touristy thing this morning and went to 'Number One, Royal Crescent' which is all done out as an Edwardian house, and a great excuse to go in and have a nosey. The kids were all fascinated with the kitchen which had this 'turnspit dog' model set up. Horrible really - the dog would run in a big wheel (like a hamster wheel), thus turning the spit to cook the meat over the fire. (Lovely.) Hmmm. Funnily enough, I know how that poor animal must have felt.

6 comments:

JJ said...

Lucy, That's such fantastic news. I'm so pleased for you and you're so right, it's a totally gorgeous town. It must have been a huge relief that the children enjoyed it too.

JJ

hellojed said...

Glad your kids are excited about the move - and that you fell in love with the house all over again!

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks, both of you, it does feel like we cleared a hurdle this weekend. Am now getting stuck into the nitty-gritty of schools admissions which is not such a stroll in the park....arrgghhh...

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

What, the one on the spit? (Just kidding, honest!) Really glad the house is working out so well.

Caroline said...

Thrilled for you honey x

I am kind of following your example ... am painting hallway ... house on market next week ... have seen a house ... it needs lots of work ... I won't know anyone ...

Sound familiar?
x

Lucy Diamond said...

Yes, roasted alive in this glorious weather... Nah. Not quite!