Sunday, 22 April 2007

Signed off

Yesterday was my book signing in Waterstones. EEEEEKKK! Of course, it being hot and sunny, every self-respecting Brightonian and day tripper was on the beach, not shopping so I got to the shop just before 12 and it was pretty much empty which was really not a good start. I nearly ran out again and jumped on the bus home but took a deep breath and went up to the counter. "Hello, I'm meant to be doing a signing here today..."
They showed me to my table with a mountain of books on (and some water and yummy strawberries - thank you, kind Waterstones people) and I sat there, in the almost empty shop, bracing myself for the most humiliating two hours of my life. OH GOD, I thought. No-one is going to come and I am going to be sooooo embarrassed and will have to crawl back home and never come out again...
AARRGGHH
It wasn't a nice moment. But then, just as the Events Manager was kindly saying, "Don't worry if you don't sell any, it's a sunny day, everyone's at the beach", one of the mums from school appeared - hooray! Thank you, S - who bought the first one. And then some kind men took pity on me and bought one. And then lots of people who'd been on my writing course appeared which was lovely, as I haven't seen any of them for ages. And then lovely friend J came who bought loads for her book group... And it was fine, I sold 30 copies, mostly to friends and people from the school but also some random strangers which was brilliant. (My favourite was the man who bought one for his wife, and sneaked over to me and asked me to write "For [her name], I hope you love this book as much as [his name] loves you." Oh!! Bless!! A bit of romance right there and then at my signing, fabulous. And then JEN turned up which was even more brilliant. Hello, Jen!! Lovely to meet you. And thank you for buying my book!!

And then we got home and heard that someone had made an offer on our house, so that was a bit exciting too. And daughter went on her first sleepover, so... Oh, it was a big day all round in our house. So of course, partner and I cracked open the bubbly last night...
I don't want to sound ungrateful but it was quite a relief, the signing being over. Now, I can get back to normal life a bit and don't feel like I have to be a horrible saleswoman all the time. I am looking forward to calmer waters ahead next month....I hope!

16 comments:

hellojed said...

Congratulations for surviving your first signing and getting an offer on your house! Your excitement is very infectious.

Lucy Diamond said...

I'm not sure if it's infectious or just hysterical...cheers, though! Hope you had a good weekend.

Caroline said...

Oh this made me cry. I don't understand why, but it did.
I'm a few months behind you with the novel and the moving ... terrifying. Bloody terrifying! So glad you made it to bubbles.
Fingers crossed with the house sale.
xxx

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh Caroline! Sorry to have made you cry. The novel/moving combo has meant I've been shedding tears too left, right and centre - happy tears as well as shit-this-is-going-to-be-a-nightmare tears. I can't help wishing I'd spread out these major events over the course of the year but no, had to impatiently do both at once... Hey ho.
Sympathies that you are in the same boat. It is terrifying and overwhelming and surprisingly tiring too. But I feel that things are moving on a bit for me now so take heart - it doesn't go on for ever, touch wood!
Wishing you a safe journey through to the bubbles at the other end... xxx

JJ said...

Lucy

It is so exciting to see and share this happening to you. I'm fascinated that even after all the children's books you've been involved with it's still so emotional an experience.

All the best
JJ

liz fenwick said...

Well done. Glad you weren't left alone. Should have prayed for a rainy day for you!!! Keeping my fingers crossed on the house sale.

Jen said...

Hello! It was jolly lovely to meet you and I'm enjoying the book so much that I didn't want to come to work today!!!

Fabbo news about the house offer too, woo hoo! No more grouting to scrub. No wonder you were celebrating :)

X

Amanda Mann said...

Many congratulations from me too, so glad to hear it went well. I finished it over the weekend & really enjoyed it. So tons more congratulations on writing such a funny and readable book. I love your writing style & she's a great character.

The husband-woops-I-mean-partner/wife relationship particularly resonated for me.

Lucy Diamond said...

JJ - it has definitely been a far more emotional experience, having a novel published rather than children's fiction. It's just the walking into book shops and SEEING it there, rather than having to go hunting around through the children's shelves, sigh of disappointment, oh well, never mind...!

Liz - thanks! We accepted an offer today...so it's all really happening after feeling in limbo for so long!

Jen - very nice to meet you too. I was so excited when you came over. And I am so relieved I can let the house mess up again now without the fear of strangers traipsing around turning their noses up at any stray toys!

Amanda - Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. And yes, the partner/husband thing grates with me too - written from bitter experience - "Actually, I'm not Mrs Blah, we're not married..." Grrrr. Those cold-callers are the worst, making assumptions. SO 20th century!

London Refugee said...

Dear Lucy,

I'm delighted to hear it turned out to be a good signing day and that you didn't have a Borat-stalked experience.

Perhaps someone will invite you to join the Chelsea Arts Club.

And how about a nationwide tour - book-signing by day and hell-raising by night. I don't think Yorkshire's had a book-signing since errm....1932, when PG Wodehouse mistook York for New York.

Chin-chin old gel,
The Refugee

Angie said...

I started reading your lovely blog recently and wanted to say hi and congratulations on the book-signing and house offer. Very exciting.

Lucy Diamond said...

London Refugee - nice idea, but I think I'll pass on the book tour. It will take me a while to recover from Saturday's embarrassment!

Hello Angie! Glad you like the blog.

Debi said...

Fantastic - so pleased to hear it was a success.

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Debi!

Anonymous said...

Excellent news about the book signing (my last one was on the day of England's world cup match - duhhhhh, bad move! You did really well) and yay on the news about the house, too!

Kate H

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Kate! I'm glad I didn't have the football to battle against as well as the weather, though...