Friday, 27 April 2007

Moving and shaking

I’ve just heard our offer has been accepted on a house. Oh my God! We are doing it! We are moving! I am excited but also apprehensive because this house is far from the ideal. When we were approaching it to look round, I thought, Well, there’s no way on earth we’ll buy THIS – but then somehow between walking through the front door and getting out into the garden, I fell in love with it. Quite confusing, really, to have bought somewhere you don’t feel one hundred percent convinced by, but sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith, right?
I hope that doesn’t come back to haunt me.

I’m a bit hungover today because last night I went out with lots of Pan’s people and my agent to celebrate the publication of Any Way You Want Me. It was really lovely to see them all even though I didn’t quite manage to get out the big thank you speech I’d planned (maybe it’s just as well – when I rehearsed it on my partner, I actually started welling up, so at least I avoided doing a Gwyneth on them all). But that aside, it was very very nice – great company, delicious food and a fantastic strawberry champagne cocktail to start the evening. Who could ask for more?

Excellent journey into London last night, too – this guy got on the train at Clapham Junction, opened his Evening Standard to read it, then, after a few moments, burst out laughing. “Oh my God, I’m in the paper!” he said. He was looking at me, so I said, “Why, what have you done?” and he showed me the piece – it was about this, and he was the councillor in question. Very funny – certainly a novel approach to being elected...

Then I got a cab to the restaurant and had such a fab driver – “Out on a date, are you, then, love?” When I told him what the occasion was, he whistled. “Written a book? Ooh! Is it saucy?” Then he started telling me, “I haven’t always been a taxi driver you know. No. Used to be a male model, didn’t I?”
Did you?, I asked, trying not to giggle. What sort of stuff did you do?
“You know them Dear Deirdre photo stories in The Sun? Well, I was the sexy plumber in one of ‘em, had to wear a boiler suit with it stripped down to me waist, and pose like this…”
Brilliant. He’s going in my next novel.

Talking of which – I’m giving myself the rest of the morning off. Too much going on in my head to do any writing. Perks of the job, isn’t it, being self-employed! So I’m going to lie on the sofa with a cup of tea and a book. Ahhhhh. Or maybe I’ll just go back to bed until pick-up time at the playgroup…

10 comments:

hellojed said...

Congrats on the offer! Sounds like you're having a great time at the moment. You deserve it.

Jessica said...

oh conratulations! All very exciting.

China Blue said...

Great story about your trip into London, as well!

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers! I'm actually hoping that next month isn't quite so exciting, though - I could do with some calmness for a change, if that doesn't sound sickeningly ungrateful...

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I think you definitely deserve a little lie-down, what with everything that's going on in your life at the moment. Great that it's all good news, but I do understand your longing for a calm patch. I was feeling that way myself last month... now I've got one, and guess what? I'm bored! There's no pleasing some people.

Marie said...

I'm about to move house too, and guess what - that man is going to be my new MP!

Eating roadkill is very chic and environmentally sound as it happens. The telegraph food writer Rose Prince recommends it, though legally, you can't eat anything you ran over yourself. I'm not sure if she advocates sleeping under newspaper though.

Caroline said...

:)

Have you started packing yet?
That's not really funny is it ... packing a house full into boxes ...

hmmmm.
Sorry.
x

liz fenwick said...

Hope you had a brilliant relaxing day......congrats on the offer and sounds like a fabulous night!

Jan said...

Goodness Me.
I thought for a minute you'd taken up dancing AS WELL as your writing ...but on 2nd thoughts, Pan's People are probably menopausal now and I'm As Old As The Hills ..

Lucy Diamond said...

Zinnia - have had a calm weekend, including lots of wine and a rom-com on DVD. It was JUST what a needed!

Good luck with the move, Marie - and Paul Newman if he gets voted in. He did seem very jolly and quite a laugh, (despite being a Tory). Not sure I'd fancy a plate of roadkill personally, but whatever...

Caroline - we're not at the boxes stage yet, we're still at the faffing about with mortgage applications and booking a survey. Oh, the joys. I'm in denial about the boxes at the moment. Not even going there!

Liz - thanks, it was great. Hope your RNA do was good!

Jan - I remember Pans People too, and Legs & Co, and then it was that really crap lot called Zoo or something, I think. I used to WANT to be one of Legs & Co. Sigh...