Monday, 9 April 2007

For sale

Life has gone a bit mad for me lately – in a really good way. Through the whole build up to Any Way You Want Me coming out, I’d assumed that, once publication day finally came around, it would be a case of having to hunt through the ‘D’ shelves in book shops and seeing a single copy there or – if I was really lucky – two.
I never expected that I’d get to see big piles of it on the tables in the front of book shops. Never in my wildest dreams. Never expected all the emails and texts from friends (I’m including you lovely blog-friends of course) saying they’d seen it in all sorts of places around the country. I had a text from one of my best friends on Saturday saying she was in tears because it was in the ‘Bestsellers’ shelves in the Waterstones in Reading. (And then I was in tears too, of course.) It’s been overwhelming. Amazing. Already, it has surpassed all my expectations.
I’ve given out hundreds of the samplers locally, as well as lots in Bath and Somerset, and a few kind people have taken handfuls off me to give out in their areas (thank you, kind people, you know who you are). Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that book shop customers actually pick it up and take it to the till. And enjoy it, and recommend it for their book group, or buy a copy for their sister or best mate…

But anyway. It’s out there. That’s the main thing. And it is sooooo exciting!
It’s made me realise how nervous and stressed I’ve been recently, though. Seeing copies in the shops at last has brought about a physical collapse with relief. I keep getting nosebleeds and headaches and have lots of swirling specks in my vision at the moment (I have this eye problem – vitreous inflammation – which usually means one or more specks floating around in my field of vision. Only it’s been like trying to see through a sandstorm of them lately.) Still, can’t blame all that on the book. I’m sure the house thing isn’t exactly helping me relax…

So. The house thing. Shut up about your damn book for two minutes and tell us about the house thing, I hear you cry. (I’m hearing voices as well now, to add to my catalogue of complaints.) Well. We went house-hunting on Wednesday and saw a couple of houses. One was in a nice quiet road, a neat little terrace, tidy and clean inside. The other was on a busy road, with nowhere to park outside, in a complete state, scruffy and shambling. Guess which one we’ve both fallen in love with? Yes. The totally impractical one. It’s definitely a case of heart ruling head - I am smitten. It is a bit neglected at the moment but it could be fabulous, I know it…
Still, we’ve got to sell ours first before we can make an offer, of course – which is why yesterday saw us scrubbing the toilet, bath, shower curtain, kitchen, oh everything, basically. Anyone want to buy my house, as well as my book?

9 comments:

pacha said...

I live in north east Italy and have JUST found and BOUGHT your book in a bookshop in Grado. I can't wait to get stuck into reading it so this message will be brief! Congratulations and good luck selling the house (which I'm sure I would like to buy too but too much of a commute at present!)

Shirl said...

Oh how handy Amazon One-Click is...I've commented on your blog before, back in December 2006, but have begun a new blog since then. Still plugging away at my own writing...all the very best to you Sue.

Lucy Diamond said...

OOh, Pacha, that's exciting news! Wow. Italy. Excellent! Not to worry re buying my house - the book is enough, thank you!

Hello Shirl, long time, no see. Hope your writing is going well - and all the best to you, too!

Working Mum said...

Congratulations on publication of the book! Did you realise I work for Pan Macmillan, your publishers? So I got to read it long ago, pre-publication, while on maternity leave with Ava, my youngest... and I bloody LOVED it. Devoured it in no time. And I do recommend it to anyone who'll listen! Good luck with the house sale. What areas you looking in to buy?

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh cheers, Working Mum! Glad to hear you liked it. (And yes, I had clocked where you worked - it's a small old world!)

spymum said...

LD, this is so exciting! I am thrilled for you!

And yay on finding a house! It is much more fun buying one that you can 'do up' to your exact taste! It will be gorgeous! I am sure that your house will go in a jiffy!

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Spymum, you always say such lovely things. I hope you're right on the jiffy front!

Nichola said...

I'd buy your house if I had the £££ as I'm desperate to get out of Dundee!

I've already bought your book though. Can't wait to get started on it!

Lucy Diamond said...

One out of two is good enough for me, Nichola - thanks a lot!
And best of luck with the move if you decide to go...