Tuesday, 6 March 2007

Westward Ho!

Have had a mad few days. Weekend in Bath, then partner's 40th yesterday. Phew. Once again, I have eaten and drunk too much. There is definitely a bit of muffintoppery going on with my trousers at the moment - must try to rein myself in at the dinner table for a few weeks. (Although having said that, am having lunch with one of my editors today so I will start the new regime tomorrow...ahem....)

Anyway - Bath. We loved it. Even more gorgeous than I remembered. Could really see ourselves living there - so we're going to do it! Had a bit of a turning point with eldest daughter (who has previously resisted any talk of moving) - we went to see one house, just to get an idea of what we could afford and she started sobbing outside the estate agent - "I don't want to move house! Please don't make me go!" which was horrible. But then, once inside this house when she and son discovered that on the top floor, there were just two rooms, one with Spiderman murals all over the walls and the other with white-washed floorboards and a pink heart on the door - at that point, she got really excited, saying, "Can we live here? This could be my room and this could be Tom's!" (They share at the moment) - and suddenly she was really into the whole idea. Relief all round.

Stayed in a B&B Saturday night - kids all wildly excited as we haven't been anywhere like that for years. Much bouncing on beds and giggling and running around in the dark. The kids, too. (ba-boom).

So it was a good weekend. Feel really excited about our life change now! (Come back in two months though when we're knee deep in surveys and gazumping and full-schools stress and remind me of this, please)

And then yesterday, partner turned 40 - he hasn't ordered himself a sports car or gone off to get a mistress yet, so no sign of impending midlife crisis. He took the day off work and we went to Wakehurst Place which is Kew's country house and garden - very calming, strolling around this fabulous Elizabethan manor house and massive grounds. The sort of thing we couldn't have done if the two older children had been there ("This is SO BORING!" "Can we go home now?" "What do you mean, there isn't a playground here?") but youngest dozed in the buggy as we wheeled her round so we could chat and everything. What a bonus. In the evening, went out to Indian Summer, a really yummy, posh Indian restaurant in Brighton.

Must try and do a bit of work now before I go off for my eating - I mean, meeting.

8 comments:

Jane Henry said...

Lucy, sounds like a great weekend... and Bath is so lovely I am envious!

Having watched one sister uproot from London to Derby and another move about three times, am convinced kids adapt easily... the point is YOU are wherever they are (If you haven't got Joan Stimson's A New Home for Tiger, go and get it now. Home is where Mum is!!) and that's what counts.

Do hope Martin enjoyed his 40th and doesn't have mlc....I think I've been in one with Spouse for three years now!!! (sorry... but it's all good writing material)

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks for the tip - I shall look that book out. Cheers!

Mid-life crises are definitely good writing material, I agree. In fact, you never know, the flipside of us moving might mean I get one all of my own!

Jane Henry said...

I should point out is that Spouse is the on having the mlc, and I am just in it with him. I think he might have worked it out now...

I don't think women have mlcs, because once their children go to school they get a Yippee I've Got My Life Back kind of experience, which is much more fun... (and deserved after all those years of slogging at it)

spymum said...

Bath is so wonderful! Sigh! And its lovely that your daughter likes the bedroom - things are going to be just fine I think!

And as for a mlc, I'm sure women would have them (but they're just too tired and busy!!) Ha!

mad muthas said...

muffintoppery - love it (well not the condition, you understand - the neologism)
x

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I also loved the muffintoppery image. The only downside of Bath, as far as I can tell from several visits, is the traffic - a small price to pay for living in loveliness. Good luck with it all, from a fellow novel racer.

liz fenwick said...

yes, mufintoppery, a condiiton i know too well........

sounds like a fabulous weekend and well done on making a decision. the kids will be fine as Jane says as long as you are with them.....

mlc....hmmmm, haven't had time for them we have moved too much!

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers everyone, I feel quite excited about the Bath thing, glad you all approve and nobody is writing, "Why do you want to move THERE?"
I agree, Zinnia, can see the traffic being a bit of a nightmare and parking too, but it is in Brighton, so I'm already used to having to shoehorn the car into tiny spaces - or, more truthfully, drive the car round for ages round back streets trying to find a big enough spot to avoid scraping someone's paintwork, whilst moaning about other people's parking. It'll be home from home.

Once I have my mid-life crisis, of course, I'll be writing people rude notices and sticking them under their windscreen wipers. Look forward to that.