Tuesday, 13 March 2007

Trying very hard not to moan

Scuse the absence, I've been suffering with horrible tummy bug that the kids thoughtfully shared with me. But am not about to start moaning as I'm expecting hordes of new readers from The Book Bar now that my interview is up there and don't want to send them all away again in disgust! Hello, hordes!

Still feel a bit light-headed today but have got to finish writing Oliver Moon's Troll Trouble this morning (my son thought of that title - good, isn't it?!) because this afternoon my other half is abandoning me for a conference in Cape Town, the lucky sod, and will be away until Friday, which rather puts the kybosh on my work time. Mutter mutter. The thought of managing all those school runs and teatimes on my own is enough to send me back to bed, right now, but I will struggle on. Oh dear. Moaning. Sorry.

Book-wise, I'm still continuing my Cultural Resolution and am going for another Dickens this month, David Copperfield. No, I've never read it. Shame on me. Was sorely disappointed by Under the Greenwood Tree last month - thought it was very flimsy, hardly any drama and I didn't like any of the characters.

Better do some work while I still can anyway...

11 comments:

Helen said...

Morning Lucy, just read your interview which was very enjoyable and has allowed me to put off writing for another ten minutes…I related completely with your description of motherhood and I’ve only got the one child! Now I’d better start writing – it’s 10am – how did it get to that time already?

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers, Helen - it's shocking the way that time flies by, isn't it? I have managed to write a paragraph or two...just giving myself a little break now!

Jane Henry said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Loved your interview.

I have wasted all morning as went for a run, but that was AFTER I spent an hour nattering to school run mums... Oh dear....

Must get something done.

If you liked other Dickens you'll love David Copperfield. Bits of it are very very sad (though Dora is so annoying you want to hit her). I agree about UTGT, it is quite lightweight, not his best. But he does do landscape so brilliantly....

Am amazed you can fit that in as well! I am so brain dead I fall asleep...

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Jane,

Running and chatting - I don't call that a waste of a morning! Well, maybe the running... (joke)

hellojed said...

Get well soon. I discovered your blog last week and am enjoying your writing escapades. This one reminded me of a recent post on guardian's arts blog - 'What not to call a childrens book'. (The link is too long!) As a children's novelist you might appreciate it. (not too say that yours is inappropriate of course, your son did a wonderful job!)

Good luck with Dickens!

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello Hellojed

Just found the list you mentioned - Children's Books You'll Never See - brilliant. (It's at www.funny2.com/book.htm)

Especially love Grandpa Gets A Casket, and Daddy Drinks Because You Cry.
So horrible!

hellojed said...

That's the one! Definitely a guilty pleasure.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Am procrastinating my way around the novel racers, and was going to comment to say 'hope you feel better soon', but have been happily distracted by that hilarious list of should-be children's books. Thank you!

Caroline said...

I think that's one of the best writer interviews that I've read. Loved it. I gained a sense of 'you' from it and had I not already ordered your novel, I would have rushed to Amazon to do so.

xx

spymum said...

Lovely interview, really enjoyable!

Speaking of what not to call a childrens book, I was in Paris at the weekend with the husband (ho ho ho!) and we saw some really interesting books for children presumably teaching how to deal with difficult issues - 'Grandpere est mort' was one; 'Max and Lili's Papa is unemployed' was another. Wow!!! 'Emily doesn't like it when Mama drinks too much' was my personal fave!!

Pass the wine please! And hope you feel better soon.

Lucy Diamond said...

Zinnia - all thanks are due to hellojed! But glad you liked it.

Caroline - aww, you say the nicest things, thanks!

Spymum - are you telling me you were actually in Paris with just your husband and no children? I am soooo envious if so.
Love those books - 'Emily doesn't like it when Mama drinks too much' is an absolute classic title - must order it from the French Amazon immediately for my poor children (they will be able to relate to it, I'm sure)!
Pour me a glass while you're at it, by the way...I feel much better now! ;)