Wednesday, 14 March 2007

Since my baby left me...

Well, I've made it through the first night and the first school run, without a single tantrum, not even from me. Always a bit weird, the first night he's away. Keep thinking I hear strange noises in the house - footsteps, whispers, that kind of thing. And all that double-checking - I did turn the hot water off, didn't I? (Yes) I did lock the back door, didn't I? (Yes) And I did remember to put a booby trap in front of the back door, didn't I, so that anyone kicking it in would trip over the washing basket and hopefully stun themselves and give me time to call 999? (Yes)

Last night I was prepared to bet everything that youngest child would be throwing up every hour - she's the only one of us not to have caught the dreaded bug and I was convinced she was just waiting for her daddy to leave the country before coming down with it. But no. All well. Eldest two deliverered to school on time, youngest at nursery for the morning. And it's a gorgeous spring morning tra la la.

It's not so bad. I can make it through to Friday.

8 comments:

Helen said...

When my husband is away I always close the doors to the downstairs loo and study and wedge a chair under the handle. Then if they break in that way (what delightful thoughts I have) they will only get as far as that room. Genius! I like the sound of the booby trap though. May also do that next time ;-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Ahh, I might try that tonight. Anything to help me sleep!

Loved your post the other day about your 'emergency pack' for when your husband is away, btw Helen - sadly I have to resort to making up my own emergency pack but am going to hit the shops in a bit and stock up on a few treats... Any excuse, eh!

Helen said...

don't forget a dvd from the video shop! I think the Queen is out this week if you haven't seen it already.

Husband of mine is well intentioned with emergency pack but it does mean I scoff it all before he gets home. Though obviously not any more now I have my brown rice.

He has just announced he's going away again soon - this time for over a week. Think I have raw end of deal somehow!

Jay said...

Yes you can!

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers Jay - I'm sure I can, even though I managed to FORGET to buy my treats when I was at the shops earlier. I can't believe it. How can you forget something like that?

Helen - you're right, DVD an essential. Have got Devil Wears Prada which I think it suitably man-out-of-the-house-ish. Hoorah!

spymum said...

Wonderful - when my husband goes away I prowl the house, checking and rechecking it like a loony, but I'm now going to add booby-trapping the back door (and the front) to my repertoire!

It's horrid how one sleeps more lightly isn't it. Sigh.

spymum said...

Sorry, doesn't sleep more lightly! Durrr!

Lucy Diamond said...

Booby-trapping is definitely the way forward, Spymum. Laundry baskets at the ready, I say!