Tuesday, 20 March 2007

Flurrying, not worrying

You know, I'm so busy with the book stuff at the moment, I've barely had time to think about MOVING HOUSE. It's quite a good strategy, I think. Hopefully I'll be able to flit through the whole house-selling-buying-upheaval in a Zen-like calm, while my mind is focussing on all my plans for the novel, and then one day I'll find myself in a removal van, and the whole thing will have happened without a single new stress wrinkle to show for it...

Oh, as if, we all know that won't happen, but I have thrown myself into a flurry of pre-publication activity anyway, which is all very exciting. I have ordered a thousand - a THOUSAND! - fliers to be printed, advertising the book signing. Does that seem a bit excessive? I've already roped in some mates to help distribute them far and wide - thank you, lovely friends, if you ever read this - so hopefully I can get them all given out. I've booked some advertising space in a local magazine too and bunged them a press release in the hope they'll do a review, too. AND I'm chasing up all the media contacts various people have given me. Another writer advised me to treat myself to a funky new pen for the signing - which I'm definitely going to do - but I'm also wondering if a new outfit for the occasion is acceptable as a business expense... What do you reckon? I mean, I can't just rock up there in my jeans, can I?

Must must must write lots of words today. Deadline looming at the end of the month for the sixth and final book in my Jake series. I haven't written a single word of it yet - well, unless the title and 'Chapter One' count - eeek. Last night, sank a few large G and Ts and brainstormed the plot with partner. Now all I have to do is write the thing. And STOP PROCRASTINATING ON THIS BLOG!

16 comments:

Helen said...

Hey Lucy

I've just been catching up on your blog as I've been away for a long weekend and I can't believe how much has happened to you in that short time! Book launch preparations, the book on sale in Thailand, JJ buying it and reading it on her blog, a review in the Observer (I actually didn't understand the review too much - lots of big words and not alot of substance I thought) but a review in a broadsheet nevertheless. I am really really pleased for you...

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello Helen,
I was wondering if you were away (nosey? Moi?) because every time I've been to your blog lately, I kept seeing those delish cakes (and felt very hungry). Glad it's not because you've been too weak to write through cake-withdrawal!

It does feel like things have gone a bit mad, lately, but they are exciting-mad, which is ace. Thanks for being pleased for me, that's so nice of you!

rivergirlie said...

i think that's a very good idea, to publicise it like that. sadly, i won't be able to join you on the day, but i just wanted to ask, do you prefer people to get it off amazon or in a real shop? any feeling either way?
x

Lucy Diamond said...

Awww rivergirlie, thanks, that is every author's dream question - how would you like me to buy your book? I don't mind at all where you buy it! Wherever you want to! But thanks for asking. Very sweet of you. Ooh, I do love my blogreaders. I do, I do, I do, I do, I do-o-o-o...

liz fenwick said...

It's all so exciting but you seem to have everything in hand!!! Well done :-)

Caroline said...

Oh my. Oh my. This is soooo exciting.
I'll be coming to you for tips and planning advice.
xx

Lucy Diamond said...

I am so busy making plans, I'm not managing to get much work done, though. With every silver lining, there's a cloud!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
I am one of the "Observer Five" (My first book, Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife, comes out in May....gulp!) I just wanted to say that I think your book looks and sounds fab and I shall be hotfooting it to the local bookshop to purchase a copy once it hits the shelves! Best of luck! Niamh Greene

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello Niamh! How nice to hear from you. Very glad to have some solidarity from another member of the 'Observer Five'! So...what did you make of our lovely review, then?! I am definitely going to buy your book and the others, too. You can't have too much of a good thing, if you ask me - and I could definitely manage five chocolate pastries in one go!
Very best of luck with yours.
xx

niamh_greene@yahoo.com said...

Hello again! I thought yours was great actually - being racy is always, always a good thing!! Why did a man review though? Seems very odd...I believe we share an agent in the lovely Simon T so we shall have to meet for those choccie pastries and a chinwag at some stage and plot our revenge! Niamhx

Debi said...

Good luck! Get someone else to buy the pen to give it extra significance and keep it just for signings.

Oh - and definitely a new outfit is called for.

Enjoy!

Lucy Diamond said...

Niamh - definitely. I'm going to email you for a private secret gossip now...

Debi - thank you! I had come to the 'new outfit' conclusion, too. It's an essential!

Helen said...

Lucy - have you seen this?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.jhtml?xml=/portal/2007/03/21/nosplit/ftchicklit21.xml

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Blogging is so great, I don't know how else I could ever have had a glimpse like this into the life of a newly published novelist. It's so exciting! Glad you've decided to go for the new outfit, I was going to vote for that too. I look forward to reading the book.

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Zinnia! And thanks, Helen - I will have a read...

Clare said...

Oh help, you're making me feel quite faint and almost hope Idon't get published so I don't have to think about these things...

It's not the actual signings / readings etc- I love all that stuff. It's the business of persuading people to turn up to the damn things. Eek.