Friday, 30 March 2007

Big in Taunton

In the words of the lovely Caroline, I just need to say...OMG OMG OMG OMG!!
My book has been spotted OUT in the big wide world...in the Taunton branch of Waterstones, no less. Yes! According to partner's mum, there was a big display of them on a table there! On a TABLE, no less! Not just a shelf, oh no. A BIG DISPLAY!!!! ON A TABLE!!!!!

I am so happy to be on a table. Fantastic. It feels GREAT to be on a table in the Taunton branch of Waterstones. People in Taunton might be reading my book RIGHT NOW. Wow. It is a very strange feeling. I'm not sure what's going on though - in fact, hearing this did throw me a bit.
They're not meant to be on sale until the 6th!
"I'm not ready yet!" I kept saying. "I haven't told people yet, I haven't really gone for shameless plugging overkill or anything!!" I went all hysterical with excitement actually, kept laughing at everything and anything, to the point where I thought I was going to start crying. (Does this happen to anyone else, btw? Or is it just me??)
Anyway, partner's mum has bought a copy (thanks, Val!). I hope she hasn't got to the rude bits yet otherwise she might get the wrong idea about me. (Don't read the rude bits, Val!) We're going to stay with her next week, so I might have to take some scissors with me and chop out any pages with saucy scenes on...

So that's Bangkok and now Taunton. And two copies sold already, counting the lovely JJ's copy. I haven't been into Brighton yet so don't know if they're here. But if you are anywhere near a book shop this weekend and see a copy, please tell me so I can be excited about that place as well as Taunton. And maybe if you do see any in the book shop, you could do me a massive favour and say (in a really loud voice), "Wow! Lucy Diamond! I have been waiting for this ALL YEAR! Quick, let me buy one before they all sell out!"
Only joking. You don't have to do this. I am just getting over-over-OVER-excited now. Where's Michael Winner when you need him to tell you to CALM DOWN, DEAR.?

Anyway. So. Other news is that my agent rang yesterday to give me a vote of confidence on Novel 3. Hoorah. He liked it, although did have some searching questions, ie, What's going to happen to this character? And when is this character going to discover this big secret? And how's it going to end?
I'm afraid my answers were all pretty much like this. "Well, ummm, that's a good question and um... Well, I haven't actually got that worked out yet. Hmmm. Don't know. I will just think of something off the top of my head blah blah blah."
Back to the drawing board, Ms Diamond.
The thing is, I'm too hyped up to go back to the drawing board for a while. It is only the fact that I'm waiting for my fliers to be delivered that's stopping me from hotfooting it into town to start haunting the bookshops there...
Tum te tum...

18 comments:

NoviceNovelist said...

Lucy, I'm smiling for you - how fantastic - it is so great to hear another writer sharing their joy and excitement in this way!!! I shall buy a copy of your novel as soon as I see it - I read the extract on your new web page (great looking page) and really loved it! Laugh and cry all you like - you've earned it. I'd probably be leaping madly around the room and bouncing off walls as well if it were me!!!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Thank you so much, novicenovelist - I know there will be plenty more laughing and crying to come!
I've just had a nose at your blog and saw you'd been to the Jubilee Library in Brighton recently - are you a fellow Brightonian?

JJ said...

Lucy
I'm really pleased for you. You are going to be doing a lot of leaping around, laughing and crying in the coming weeks. I'm going to book club and book crossers next week and will be plugging your book.
JJ

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks, JJ - word of mouth is a great thing!
I have just heard it IS on sale in Waterstones and WH Smith now, and Amazon have stopped their pre-orders and seem to be selling it too! Eeeeekkkkkkk! I have not managed to write a single word today in all the excitement!
(out in the supermarkets and other places next week, just to keep you all posted...!)

Jane Henry said...

Hey well done Lucy! I am enjoying your pleasure vicariously.

I did look yesterday in my Waterstones but didn't see it, so will look again.

In my experience bookshops ALWAYS put books out prior to pub dates. Unless it's Harry Potter and they are going to get sued...

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers Jane - have you seen the Bookseller today, btw? You get a little namecheck in there!

NoviceNovelist said...

Hi Lucy, I'm an Eastbourne lass. Though I did see with interest that you spent time in the lovely Perth - I lived there for 10years before heading this way. I'll be scouring my bookshop for you next time I'm out doing a spot of shopping. I hope the bubbly will be flowing freely for you!!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh Perth is lovely! And I loved Fremantle too. Gorgeous part of the world. I worked at the Burswood Hotel for a while, do you know it? (I got into trouble for sneaking letters home through the hotel mail system but apart from that I had a great time there!)

Sezzie said...

Fabulous!!!
Can't wait to read it.

Sezzie
x

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Sezzie - have a good weekend!

Caroline said...

So glad that I came over and thanks for the link ... *sob* ...
You've cheered me up. You being my only friend today.

This is now officially my happy place.

Hugs.
I will of course look in my part of the UK for your lovely novel. I wish Amazon would hurry up and send it to me.

xxxx

Lucy Diamond said...

Good, I'm glad you found the happy place. And you can stay for as long as you like!

Hugs back. Have a lovely weekend
xx

rivergirlie said...

right! i'm going straight into waterstones tomorrow and demanding a table for you

Cally said...

Delurking to say congratulations - how exciting! Your posting has inspired to me to do some serious writing on my novel this weekend. Will have a look for your book on Tuesday - there's a branch of Waterstones near where I work in Bloomsbury.

Julia Buckley said...

That's fantastic. I'll start practicing my loud voice right now.

Lucy Diamond said...

Apparently Waterstones are selling copies for £3.99. What a bargain!! I'm off there this afternoon to do some loitering. And maybe a bit of "Ooh, this looks good!"-ing in a casual-but-loud voice...

Cally - good for you. Hope the writing goes well!

Julia and Rivergirlie - please do your best loud voices for me. I'm counting on you, girls!

Caroline said...

MY WISH CAME TRUE!!!!!!

It came! It's here! I have it. I have your novel.

;-)

xxxxx

Lucy Diamond said...

Yipppeee! Amazon, I salute you!