Monday, 5 February 2007

Wibble wobble

Great excitement in our house last night. Eldest daughter has her first wobbly tooth!! She has been desperate for it, as quite a few of her friends have lost teeth, and even resorted to asking one of her friends to whack her in the mouth while she was drinking from a water bottle in the hope of knocking one out (!) - not something your dentist would recommend, I'm sure. So it was phone calls to the grandmas last night, and everyone had to have a ceremonial wiggle, and then this morning, I was woken up by her face about two inches from mine and her saying, "Have you remembered something about me, Mum?"
"Mmmm?"
"I've got a wobbly tooth!"

It's funny, isn't it, but losing a tooth seems to be one of those physical sensations that your body doesn't forget - I can remember so vividly what it felt like to twist around a loose tooth (ugh, gives me the willies to think about it now), that delicious feeling of wiggling it around with your tongue inside your mouth and then, once it had finally fallen out (or been wrenched out, more like), being able to poke your tongue through the new gap.

Must go and get some nice crunchy apples. She's dead keen to eat lots so must make the most of it!

9 comments:

liz fenwick said...

Corn on the cob too!

JJ said...

Seeing wobbly teeth poked out with the tongue is the only things that make me want to spontaneously vomit: they make my knees go weak, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and goosebumps appear all at the same time. And yet, yet, oh to have the 6 year olds back...
JJ

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks for the tip, Liz, will stock up!

Sorry if I gave you a funny turn with my wobbly teeth talk, JJ...

Jen said...

Ooh, that was so well described, I actually feel as if my own teeth are being wiggled!!!!

Quite a stomach-churning sensation as an adult!! :(

Jane Henry said...

Ah but Lucy, now you enter the perilous world of tooth fairydom.

Quite frankly, the tooth fairy in our house is a disgrace. She always pitches up two days later. The last tooth that no 3 had she managed to lose down the side of the bunk bed, and er, the tooth fairy hasn't cleaned there yet, so, although out tooth fairy did eventually arrive (two days late as per normal), she didn't take the tooth. I live in dread of no 3 coming across it again.

Our tooth fairy is called Tabitha, by the way, and she always writes long complicated letters about why she is late. I think she deserves a book of her own quite frankly, she is such an outrageous story teller!

love Janex

PS - last time no 1 lost a tooth, I - sorry Tabitha - forgot so no 1 laid out big notices everywhere to remind T. I/T saw the one on the door, saying tooth this way, and crept up to her bed (she sleeps on a high sleeper) and tried to wrestle the pillow away from her so I could get the tooth. She fought back, so I left a pound and retreated. It was only next morning when no 1 came down looking slightly bemused and saying I got a pound but the tooth fairy didn't take my tooth, that I realised that -aaaaggh! she'd carefully put the tooth in a box on her chest of drawers, with arrows all the way to it.

Told you Tabitha was useless!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh no...I'm dreading this tooth fairy lark already. It seems fraught with perils!

Jane Henry said...

Sorry Lucy, didn't mean to spook you!

Actually the kids seem to cope with Tabitha's lapses reasonably well (worst one was about three days I think!!). It helps that Tabitha usually writes them long and tedious explanations of why she is so useless.

I swear she is going in a book!

love jx

Lucy Diamond said...

Tabitha sounds excellent book material - quick, get on the case before someone nabs the idea!

Clare said...

Hee hee. Felix is also keen to have the loose-tooth experience, and you're right - it's something you never forget, isn't it?

And Jane, I love the sound of Tabitha. I might even nick her. For my child I mean, not for a book.