Friday, 9 February 2007

Twenty thousand words on the screen

I've reached 20,000 words in the new novel. Hooray! This feels like a bit of a milestone even if by the end of yesterday I wasn't giving it my all, just desperate to get the words on screen and chucking them out any old how. I am really stuck into the story now, characters all introduced and action underway. I am dead pleased with how it's going actually, 20,000 words feels like a lot in a short time. Twenty THOUSAND words!

End of school term today here which we're all relieved about. Son (aged 4) is hanging in there, absolutely knackered and a bit tearful with it. Down here, they let the youngest children start off just doing mornings for a term, so from Sept until Christmas he only went to school from 9 to 12, which was perfect for him. (He used to come home, strip off his school uniform at the front door and lounge around in his pants all afternoon.) But there's been no pants-lounging this term, as he's gone up to full-time and really needs a holiday, I think. Talking of which...

I'm going to have a break from blogging for a week or so as we're going to be away at my parents' house, making our big Life Change decision. Can't wait to go and have a look at some Cotswoldy villages. An estate agent actually came round yesterday to give us an early valuation - there's not much on the market here at the moment so she was really hassling us to SELL, SELL, SELL! "I'll put it on the market for you next week, if you like," she said, which sent me into a frenzy of panic. Nooooo! Next week? We're not ready for that! I was planning to get everything painted first (did the banister and spindles last night on the staircase - those spindles are total buggers to paint) but she scoffed and said, Oh, don't worry about that, you'll be able to sell really fast whatever state it's in.

It threw me for a while, but we've decided not to rush it, whatever she says. (Mind you, she also said, "Midlands? West Country? Isn't that the same place?" so it's not like she's this wise all-knowing guru we must obey).

Anyway, enough bimbling about that, I'm going to crack on with a new fairy story today. Happy half-term, everyone who's got the pleasure!

6 comments:

liz fenwick said...

Well done! 20,000 on the novel but what about all the fairies and adventuresome boys? If you put all those words together me thinks you'd blow us out of the water!

Have a great half term.

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Liz, and you - enjoy the sun!

Jane Henry said...

Congrats on your 20 000 - she says from her measly ZERO this week...

Have a great half term...

love Janex

Dave Hill said...

Twenty thousand words! (I hate myself...I hate myself...I hate myself...).

Clare said...

Half term is GREAT. I approve of half term. Or at least, I approve of half terms which involve my son disappearing to my parents for the week - particularly when it just happens to be the week after FINISHING MY BOOK, so I can feel completely justified in coming home from work and then lounging around with my feet up, watching Deal or No Deal and Richard & Judy and eating snacks!

Speaking of which...

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers, Jane - hope you're having a good one too.

Oh Dave, stop that self-hatred immediately!

And Clare...I can hardly think of a reply, I'm so jealous. A whole week of freedom, how blissful!