Wednesday, 21 February 2007

Not being Lucy Diamond today

I'm not being Lucy Diamond today, I'm being me, Sue Mongredien, children's author instead. I got to do a little book run this morning, which is up there as one of the nicest things about writing children's books. (That, and reading them to my own children, of course.) I've got quite a few books coming out this month and, as I get about twenty copies of each, I took a load into school to donate to the library and classrooms. I feel all warm and fuzzy now, thinking about my little stories being read and hopefully chuckled over by lots of REAL children, not just my three.

So, what do you reckon? Shall I do some shameless plugging while I'm at it? Oh, go on, then.

The first one that's out is called The Cloud Princess. It's part of a series called Little Princesses that Random House have published and they're all under the pseudonym Katie Chase. I've only written three of them, the wonderful Narinder Dharmi wrote a lot of the others, but they're a lovely series, just right for six-year-olds and over.

And coming out on Friday, there are two new Oliver Moons - Oliver Moon and the Nipperbat Nightmare and Oliver Moon's Summer Howliday, both published by Usborne, illustrated by the brilliant Jan McCafferty. These ones have got MY name on - hooray - and are funny, spooky stories about a boy wizard. PERFECT for six-plussers!

Last is my first picture book out next week, called Tigers Love to Say Goodnight, published by Orchard and illustrated by Sebastien Braun. For some reason Amazon haven't got a cover image up which is a shame, because the artwork is beautiful. It's hardback, though, so don't feel obliged to buy it - bit expensive!!

Phew. Sorry to do that to you. That's my lot on the plugging front now until Any Way You Want Me comes out in April!

Back in novel-writing land, I'm wrestling a bit with my plot. I'm not quite sure where it's all going which is a bit worrying, hence the slow, slow progress. I'll try and notch up a few more words before Friday's check-in, though (I nearly said 'weigh-in' then - it does seem like the same kind of process!)

11 comments:

Caroline said...

More Oliver Moon! Fabulous. Middle child loves them.
I also enjoy saying that I know you. It makes him sparkle.

x

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh thanks, Caroline, that's really nice to hear! Tell him I said hello!

Caroline said...

I'll show him. It really will make him happy and we've just heard that he's passed his first piano exam (he's 7). Proud mother alert!

liz fenwick said...

I stand in awe yet again Lucy. Fabulous. Will put the dd onto the Cloud Princess series now.

Please don't bring up the issue of weight. Too much chocolate over half term.

Lucy Diamond said...

Wow - first piano exam at 7, that is amazing! What a star.

Liz - I have definitely put on a few pounds lately too. I will try to stop talking about chocolate and weight at least until Easter...ahem...

JJ said...

Gosh a flurry of books coming out - very exciting. My daughter's loves the rainbow fairies. She turned Ruby the Red Fairy into a play for her and her cousins to do when we were in the UK. (Obviously this wasn't open to the public... she's probably infringed all kinds of copyright rules here... ahem, did I actually say that out loud?)

Clare said...

Ooh, tigers! I like books about tigers. In fact, I think I may be unwittingly collecting them.

Oliver Moon's Summer Howliday is brilliant, and reminds me to tell you that Felix has been talking about your books a lot. He spontaneously reminds me of the-book-about-a-little-dragon-that-we-read-when-went-to-scotland-and-there-is-boy-called-oliver-and-we-have-another-one-too-with-a-wolf-in-it.

And he's only four (and three quarters). So there you go, it works for the littler ones, too.

Clare said...

As for putting on weight... now that I'm pregnant I can pretend that my ENORMOUS tum is all down to baby (who Felix has christened Lala) and nothing to do with the chocolate, cakes and biscuits I have been munching non-stop since before Xmas. Oh no.

And I'm allowed to keep munching, too. Because Lala has a sweet tooth and we do feed-on-demand in this household...

Lucy Diamond said...

A play of Ruby the Red Fairy, how fantastic. But my lips shall remain sealed!

So glad Felix likes the Oliver Moons - good lad. I might use his excellent description as my new strapline!

PS Lala - cool name for a baby. Love it. Go and scoff down some cake for her at once - don't want your blood sugar levels to start dropping or anything!

Lawmummy said...

Hi Lucy,
That's awesome. I tried to find a link to your email and I couldn't. I write a blog about children's books. I'd love to promo the book and possibly interview you for my Friday Fifteen. If you're interested, can you give me a shout? You can send an email to kelly (dot) erb (at) 451press (dot) net.
Thanks,

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks very much - I've emailed you separately.