Friday, 2 February 2007

Mixing up the medicine

I have COMPLAINED to school this morning. It is their policy to administer medicine to children on school premises (I know some schools won't do this) so that children who are perfectly well but finishing a course of anti-biotics don't have to miss school.

So yesterday when eldest daughter came home, I asked, "Did they give you your medicine all right at school?"

"Yes," she said, "but it wasn't my medicine."

"What? You mean, they gave you the wrong medicine?"

"Yes - they gave me an orange one."

"And you didn't tell them it wasn't yours?"

"Well, no, I didn't want to..."

Can you believe it? I was really p'd off. They gave her another child's medicine! Not only have they messed up her course of antibiotics, but another child's course, too - and not to mention the fact that she might have been really allergic to whatever it was they gave her. It's not that difficult to check a name on a medicine bottle is it, to make sure you're actually giving this stuff to the right person? Jesus!

So I've had the head teacher on the phone this morning apologising profusely, after I kicked off at the office a bit at drop-off time. And it's big crunch day for us for something else which I'm not going to get into here. I feel a bit stressed, to be honest!

5 comments:

liz fenwick said...

You sound cooler than I would be if they gave mine the wrong medicine!! Take a deep breath and have a bit of chocolate when no on is looking. I won't tell. Promise.

Lucy Diamond said...

I wasn't cool at all, I was really up for a ruck when I went in there - but the person I spoke to immediately went, Oh my God, it was me who gave her that, I am SO SORRY... and she was so distraught about it and extremely apologetic, and it kind of took the wind out of my sails, and I ended up feeling sorry for her.

Still, I'll have that chocolate anyway. Thanks!

Caroline said...

Bloody hell!!!!!
Did you find out what the other medicine was???

Crunch day ... hope it all works out as you want it too.

Chocolate orange anyone???
xx

Jane Henry said...

Blimey Lucy. Mind you, the person responsible probably feels worse then you do. We had the opposite situation at our school - two kids both on amoxycillin had the bags with their medicine swapped and granny didn't realise and gave wrong child's one to grandson. Wasn't a problem as they had teh same medicine but dad came in threatening to sue and as a result no one now gets medicine in school. Your situation does sound more serious, but thankfully no harm done.

Deep breaths and chocolate all round.

Jane Henry said...

Blimey Lucy. Mind you, the person responsible probably feels worse then you do. We had the opposite situation at our school - two kids both on amoxycillin had the bags with their medicine swapped and granny didn't realise and gave wrong child's one to grandson. Wasn't a problem as they had teh same medicine but dad came in threatening to sue and as a result no one now gets medicine in school. Your situation does sound more serious, but thankfully no harm done.

Deep breaths and chocolate all round.