Friday, 12 January 2007

A heated debate

I am suffering today, the morning after the book group before. Gaaaah. Those women are a bad influence on me. Four out of five of us really liked Carry Me Down anyway, although my friend C, as predicted, hated it. "Why would anyone want to read such a miserable book?" she asked. "I want books about happy things, that cheer me up. I don't want to read grim stuff. God, I hated it!"
You can't read happy stuff all the time, the rest of us said.

Why not? she asked.

Because... Well, that's not real life, is it? we said.

I don't want real life, I want escapism!, she said. I want nice stories with happy endings.

Oka-a-a-a-y. Well, there's no arguing with that. (Except of course we all did.) Anyway, the next book choice is Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel. We all know already that she is going to hate it.

I am about to pop over to Kate's for the Novel Racers' coffee morning to see how everyone is. I am really enjoying being in this race, especially after my triumphant word count addition yesterday. This novel is turning out more light-hearted and girly than the last one I wrote, more fun to write too, and I'm pleased with it so far.

Have a good weekend, one and all!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

You'd best not let your friend anywhere near ISoA then! Happy ever after, it is not.

Cx

liz fenwick said...

I like a balance of books. Too many heavy ones and I et blue and too many ahppy and well....book clubs are good at keeping the balance in my reading life.

Well done on the work yesterday.

Lucy Diamond said...

I will be buying copies of ISoA for lots of friends but maybe not THAT friend (I'll get her a copy of Hello magazine instead).

I like a balance of books too - love a good girly read as a treat in between more so-called worthy literary novels.

Hope you both have a good writing (and reading) week!