Thursday, 21 December 2006

A Cultural Resolution

Third post of the day! How eager am I? Clearly missing blogging more than I'd thought. Or maybe it's that second glass of wine I had at a friend's house over the road this afternoon.

But anyway. Just wanted to share my New Year's resolution with you, having discussed it with said friend over said wine. I've read lots of good cultural confessions lately on the blogs, from Scott Pack who started the whole thing off, and Marie and Susan Hill too, about all the gaps in their cultural lives and it made me think about the gaping holes in mine. So! New Year's Resolution is to plough through - I mean, enjoy - twelve classic novels, one a month this year. Friend recommended Our Mutual Friend as being her favourite Dickens, so I might start with that one in January, followed by Northanger Abbey/Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (haven't read either) and I read somewhere today that The Trumpet Major by Thomas Hardy is brilliant too. I think it was called that anyway, the wine is befuddling me. That's as far as I've got, March, so if you've got any great ideas for April-December 2007, feel free to suggest away. Virginia Woolf, lots I haven't read by her. And George Eliot too... Oh God. I'm going to need a big pile of easy reading too, to dilute all this high-brow stuff, I can see already. Maybe it's time to take out a subscription to Heat magazine...

Anyway, that's the resolution for the brain anyway, so with a bit of luck, this time next year, I'll be so much more learned and literary than I am now. That's the plan anyway. But now I think about it, it'll probably take more than twelve novels to do that....

4 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

For Eliot, I'd definitely recommend The Mill on the Floss (is my favourite novel of all time). I could suggest an armload of books but I'll shut up - for now *g*

Have a fabulous Christmas.

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Kate - have a great one yourself. You are my first commentee on the new blog - hoorah!
I'll put The Mill on the Floss on the list. Cheers!

Kate said...

Hello there Lucy
Have you considered any Wilkie Collins? I read The Woman in White at school and it was really rather good.

Kate

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers for the tip, Kate - have never read The Woman in White, will add it to my list!
Sue x